Viral Command - Take command of the way you go viral

Woman Dies In A Horrific Hospital Blunder



A bit of macabre news: a woman in Russia died after being hooked up to an IV drip filled with formalin, basically getting embalmed alive.

The Sun reported that Ekaterina Fedyaeva, 27, was brought to an unnamed hospital earlier this month for a routine surgery and had to be put on a saline drip.

But in a deadly mistake, hospital attendants instead hooked her up to formalin, the fluid solution used to preserve dead bodies.

The report added that Fedyaeva’s mother, Galina Baryshnikova, told media that her daughter then had convulsions and was in extreme pain before going into a coma.

Baryshnikova and Ekaterina’s husband Igor were not informed immediately by the hospital that Ekaterina had received formalin, only that the hospital had made ‘a mistake’ with her operation.

Baryshnikova added that when she went to the doctors for help, she allegedly found them “discussing how to tell us that a terrible mistake had been made.”

Ekaterina was then placed on an artificial lung after her major organs had shut down.

She was then sent to a regional clinic where emergency responders attempted to resuscitate her with 52 types of drugs.

A doctor at the clinic informed Baryshnikova and Igor that formalin was found in Ekaterina’s body.

Fedyaeva was then flown to Moscow for further medical attention, and according to the report, she regained a brief moment of consciousness but unfortunately suffered from multiple organ failure before passing away.

Her remains were interred last April 7, while the hospital is currently under criminal investigation.

Formaldehyde, which is used as part of the embalming process, causes harm when in the body of someone who is still alive as it can cause red blood cells to rupture, and can also lead to a condition called acidosis, wherein there is a presence of too much acid in the body.

Acidosis causes organ dysfunction, as the body can’t work with too much acid around, and can eventually lead to organ failure, said Dr. Christopher Hoyte, a toxicologist at UCHealth’s University of Colorado Hospital’s emergency department.


log in

Become a part of our community!

Captcha!

reset password

Back to
log in